Hoof boot studs provide your horse better traction in slippery conditions such as ice, mud and snow.
Things to keep in mind about hoof boot studs:
- Make sure your boots fit well and your horse is acclimated to wearing them before you apply studs
- Always apply studs to both boots for proper balance
- Do not turn horses out wearing studded boots. A frolicking horse can injure himself and others with studded boots.
- When drilling, make sure the stud does not extend past the sole of the foot. This can especially be a problem on older boots with worn soles.
- Always use your best judgment when going out for a ride in slippery conditions. Hoof boots provide extra traction, but they do have their limits!