American Competitive Trail Horse Association
ACTHA’s Founders, Karen VanGetson and Carrie Scrima were tired of long drives to multi-day, timed competitions. They wanted a venue where they could enjoy their horses and the wonderful scenery around them. Of course they wanted some challenge and a chance to learn as well as show off their horse’s talents. But most of all they wanted beauty, comaraderie and fun!
Try as they might to find this in areas they were interested in or on a national level, their search was in vain. So Carrie said "Let’s start one!". Thus the foundation for ACTHA began.
Today ACTHA is a national phenomenon with rides all across the USA. Wonderful sponsors and participants flock to ACTHA SANCTIONED rides and enable our higher Cause…feeding starving horses by donating to Horse Rescues. Up to 50% of ACTHA’s proceeds are directly donated to horse charities.
ACTHA enables others to hold these wonderful casual competitions through its “Affiliate Program”. An Affiliate can be an individual, club or any organization wanting to raise funds. ACTHA provides assistance and aids, as well as a consulting member of ACTHA’s management team that joins with the Affiliate every step of the way. (For more on this look at “Host a Ride”).
ACTHA’s Mission has evolved into the following:
*To provide an enjoyable venue showcasing the wonderful attributes of the great American trail horse, granting them the recognition they so richly deserve.
*To maintain a registry open to all breeds and a point designation system which will stay with each horse for its lifetime, thereby adding to their value and distinction.
*To enable the humane treatment of horses in need.
- All equines and all riding disciplines welcomed!
- Trail ride competitions throughout the United States. They are called 'Competitive Trail Challenges', or CTCs.
- They are a moderate distance (5-10 miles), and the pace is leisurely.
- Riders will encounter a minimum of 6 judged obstacles along the trail.
- These obstacles will be contained within mostly natural terrain, like crossing water, going up and down steep hills, opening gates and crossing bridges.
- Each obstacle has its own judge, alleviating partiality.
- ACTHA rides will usually be held on Saturday or Sunday mornings and should take 2-3 hours.
- All CTCs award cash to open winners and wonderful prizes and ribbons to all other divisions.
- ACTHA will keep track of your horse's registry and all of the points it earns from riding in the CTCs.
Let's give credit where credit is due....the Great American Trail Horse!!
|Cavallo Horse and Rider Inc.
Shop for Cavallo Products Online!